August 2, 2010
Office of the Spokesman
The United States has responded immediately and generously to Pakistan’s call for assistance following the tragic and devastating floods that started on July 29. Our response has been consistent with our humanitarian values and our deep commitment to Pakistan.
- The Government of Pakistan has issued a detailed request for assistance which U.S. and international officials are working to validate and fulfill.
- Two additional U.S. flights are bringing in another 51,840 halal meals today. General Duncan McNabb, U.S. Transportation Command commander, traveled to Islamabad August 2 for a scheduled visit. His aircraft brought another 12,288 halal meals.
- The seven U.S. – owned helicopters that are part of the Ministry of Interior’s 50th Air Squadron continue to support rescue and relief efforts. On Sunday, the helicopters delivered 5100 pounds of rations and supplies to flood victims. They also rescued 165 people and ferried another 9 to a hospital in Nowshera.
U.S. Contributions To Date:
- The U.S. has made an initial pledge of $10 million for humanitarian assistance under the supervision of Pakistan’s National Disaster Relief Authority.
- A total of 189,072 halal meals from U.S. stocks in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the region have been delivered to civilian and military officials in Pakistan on 10 separate supply flights.
- U.S. helicopters working under Squadron 50 of the Ministry of Interior since July 30 have rescued a total of 733 people and transported 11,873 pounds of provisions to flood victims.
- Four Zodiac inflatable rescue boats with power motors and two water filtration units– which provide pumping, purification, and distribution of potable water for up to 10,0000 persons daily– are being provided for use in the affected area.
- Twelve pre-fabricated steel bridges have been made available as temporary replacements for highway bridges damaged by flooding in Peshawar and Kurram Agency.
United States Rushing Aid to Pakistan Flood Victims (Aug 2, 2010)
Clinton Announces massive Aid For Pakistan’s People (July 19, 2010)