Wendy Sherman told a congressional panel that the Iranian regime has chosen to isolate its people, stunt the country’s economic growth, repress freedom of expression and align the nation with global terrorism.
Media freedom is a human right and the moral equivalent of oxygen, says Tara Sonenshine, under secretary of state for public diplomacy and public affairs.
The difficulty of systemic transition in Middle East nations and measured progress toward democracy in Burma are the highlights of the 2012 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, issued by the U.S. Department of State.
These reports send a very clear message that all governments have a responsibility to protect universal human rights and they help to blaze a path forward for places where those rights are either threatened or denied.
The US and Russia have announced an initiative “to bring the Syrian regime and the opposition together in an […]
Ambassador Donahoe’s statement at the Universal Periodic Review of Cuba
US Concerned About Russian Laws Restricting Civil Society, Arbitrary Arrests, Restrictions on Fundamental Freedoms
Ambassador Donahoe: We are concerned by laws which restrict civil society, including human rights activists, and which have been […]
We applaud efforts to hold accountable security forces and public officials who commit human rights violations and look forward […]
We commend Azerbaijan’s positive steps, such as those to discourage violence against women and early marriage and the 2012 […]
We commend promotion of women’s participation in government and appreciate the National Human Rights Commission’s acknowledgement that all individuals, […]
We commend the Government’s long-standing commitment to the promotion of human rights and its implementation of recommendations from its first review.
We applaud Germany’s commitment to addressing the broad spectrum of human rights, including Germany’s commitment to prosecute and punish […]
We would like to express our appreciation for Tuvalu’s efforts and accomplishments in promoting human rights. We commend […]
- Announcing the 2012 International Religious Freedom Report May 17, 2013The International Religious Freedom Report describes the status of religious freedom, government policies violating religious belief and practices of groups, religious denominations and individuals, and U.S. policies promoting religious freedom. The reports, prepared by the U.S. Department of State, are submitted in compliance with the International Religiou […]
- U.S. Policy and Response to Recent Humanitarian Crisis in Africa May 17, 2013Thank you for that kind introduction, and for having me here today. And thank you for your decades of service to refugees in this country and around the world. There are a series of issues I’d like to address today, ranging from refugee crises overseas to our own domestic programs that resettle refugees in America […]
- Secretary Kerry Chairs Human Trafficking Task Force Meeting – Friday, May 17, 2013 May 16, 2013Secretary of State John Kerry chaired the annual meeting of the President’s Interagency Task Force to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (PITF) at the White House on Friday, May 17, at 9:45 a.m. The annual cabinet-level meeting serves as an opportunity to coordinate government-wide efforts and discuss new initiatives in the struggle to end […]
- U.S. Response to the Secretary General on the 2014 Program Outline May 16, 2013AS DELIVERED The United States welcomes the release of the 2014 Program Outline and its Compendium of Executive Summaries, and we wish to thank the Secretary General, the fund managers, and their staff members for the submission. The Program Outline deserves careful consideration. The United States will read it thoroughly, and we look forward to […]
- U.S. Statement on the International Day Against Homophobia or Transphobia May 16, 2013Tomorrow, May 17, is the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, or “IDAHO.” The date of May 17 was specifically chosen to commemorate the World Health Organization’s decision in 1990 to declassify homosexuality as a mental disorder. In honor of this day, we celebrate the diversity and efforts of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender [... […]